Don’t let your remodeling budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average Cost to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling is in your zip code by using our easy to use calculator. If you’re looking for 2022 Cost to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling with labor and haul-away and how much a contractor might be, you’ve come to the right place.
As an experienced licensed home improvement contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best. The Cost to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling estimator will provide you with up to date pricing for your area. Simply enter your zip code and the number of needed to remove, next click update and you will see a breakdown on what it should Cost to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling at your home
Note* A 10′ foot by 10′ foot area =100 square ft. When calculating square footage.
|Remove Popcorn Ceiling Cost||Zip Code||Square ft.|
|Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Labor & Material Prices||$325.00 – $360.00||$425.00 – $525.00||$550.00 – $650.00|
|Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Waste & Haul-away Costs||$50.00 – $50.00||$60.00 – $65.00||$75.00 – $87.50|
|Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Total||$375.00 – $410.00||$485.00 – $590.00||$625.00 – $735.00|
|Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Total Average Cost per square ft.||$3.92||$5.38||$6.80|
- Cost can add up quickly, especially if you’re a novice and have never attempted to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling before. I would strongly recommend you hire a licensed and Insured Remodeling, or General Contractor to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling for you.
Remove a Popcorn Ceiling – Pricing and Removal Cost Checklist
- Get at least 3-5 estimates before hiring a Remodeling, or General Contractor — estimates are typically free, unless it’s a small job.
- Expect Ceiling Removal prices to fluctuate between various Remodeling, or General Contractors – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Fall, early winter – you should expect aggressive pricing discounts by waiting for a contractor’s down season.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out – I.e; difficult configurations, Mechanical area space, the additional complexity of your home will add to the Popcorn Ceiling removal costs.
- Remember, there are multiple styled homes in the U.S – from: Contemporary, colonial, cape-cod style, ranch, bungalow, Victorian, etc. So keep that in mind and try to budget a little more, before starting your Popcorn Ceiling removal project.
How Much Does it Cost To Remove Popcorn Ceiling Texture?
A popcorn ceiling is a cottage cheese-like texture that was popular in many homes from the 1950s through the 1980s. This textured ceiling was applied using a spray-on technique using fibers in a coating mix that helped reduce imperfections in ceiling.
However, many popcorn ceilings have been linked to containing Asbestos. In 1978 the “clean air act” banned the use of Asbestos in building products. Although the use of producing Asbestos products was banned in 1978, many manufacturers were allowed to sell off the remaining inventory that went into the early 80s so it’s in your best interest to have your ceiling tested.
Professional Popcorn ceiling removal costs:
The cost to hiring a professional to do this job would range between 300 – 800.00 per room for a 10′ x 10′ area (100 sq ft). Why the huge price variation?
No licensed & Insured contractor is going to come to your home for less than a days rate. Other factors include sanding, patching, and smoothing out the ceiling for any imperfections with trash haul-away.
Can popcorn ceiling removal be a DIY project? It sure can, however, before doing such project, you should have your ceiling tested for Asbestos. The cost to test for Asbestos should range in the 50-150.00 range.
Patching or repairing popcorn ceiling isn’t really that difficult and many home centers such as: Home depot, Lowes, and Menards, will carry this type of patch kit that contain the textured mix with Styrofoam to closely match the existing texture.
How To Remove a Popcorn Ceiling?
The removal of this dated ceiling can be done easily by following these simple steps:
- Safety first – test a small area of your popcorn ceiling for Asbestos.
- Completely remove all furniture, wall fixtures, and cover the floors with plastic sheets. Wrap plastic around ceiling fans, ceiling lights, and cover electric outlets.
- Spray small areas with water and let the water absorb in.
- Duct-tape a spatula to the opposite end of a broom-handle.
- Begin scrapping the ceiling by applying moderate pressure — Don’t dig into the ceiling, gently scrape until you get a feeling for it.
The removal of popcorn ceiling systems can be extremely messy if you’ve never done this before. If you have a shop-vac kicking around, duct-tape a spatula to the end of your shop-vac hose to help suck up all loose materials as you scrape.
367 people found this helpful. Was this guide helpful to you?