Don’t let your remodeling budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average installed costs for Kitchen Cabinet Refacing is in your zip code by using our handy calculator.
As an experienced licensed home improvement contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best. The Kitchen Cabinet Refacing estimator will provide you with up to date pricing for your area.
Simply enter your zip code and the square footage, next click update and you will see a breakdown on what it should cost to have Kitchen Cabinet Refacing installed in your home
Example: a standard base cabinet is 24″ or (2 linear feet wide) Cabinets run in widths of: 12″, 18″, 24″, 30″ 33″, 36″ and 48″
|Kitchen Cabinet Refacing Costs||Zip Code||Linear ft.|
|Kitchen Cabinet Refacing – Material Prices||$921.00 – $1116.00||$1267.50 – $1447.50||$1965.00 – $2565.00|
|Kitchen Cabinet Refacing – Installation Cost||$1290.00 – $1605.00||$2241.00 – $2550.00||$3765.00 – $5550.00|
|Kitchen Cabinet Refacing – Total||$2211.00 – $2721.00||$3508.50 – $3997.50||$5730.00 – $8115.00|
|Kitchen Cabinet Refacing – Total Average Cost per linear foot||$82.20||$125.10||$230.75|
How much does cabinet refacing Cost?
For a professional cabinet refacing company to reface a standard 15′ ft. x 15′ ft. kitchen (200 linear ft.) starts at around $2200-3000.00 for a basic laminate finish. For a mid-grade wood veneer finish, you can expect to pay between $3500-4000.00. For a higher quality real wood finish, expect to pay roughly $5700-8200.00.
Other costs to factor in:
Let’s not forget the costs for new cabinet hardware ( Knobs, pulls, hinges) will run in the range of $3-$5.00 each and can cost as much as $20-$50 for high-end hardware.
New Cabinets Vs Refacing
When you start getting into these cost figures, you might also be considering replacing your cabinets with new ones and I don’t blame you one bit. However, just because new cabinets might have similar costs to refacing, there’s a whole lot of added remodeling costs to add onto the project.
For example; if you decide that you want to replace your cabinets, you will have to hire the following tradesman: Electrician, Plumber, Cabinet installer, Countertop fabricator/installer, and a general contractor to run the project. These all come with hefty costs added onto your newly purchased cabinets.
So in comparison, buying new kitchen cabinets will run in the low-range of $4500-6500 for basic stock cabinets that you can find at Home depot, Lowes, or Menards; with their semi-custom cabinets running $8500-12000. Custom kitchen cabinetry will run in excess of $18,000-30,000.
DIY Cabinet Refinishing?
Can you DIY this project yourself? Not really, no. Although many big box stores will sell you refacing kits, this sort of work should be left to the professionals. This is specialized work that takes years to master with the right tools, etc. The tools you would need to have this project come out looking great would not be worth the investment or monies lost, if you had to hire someone to fix it.
Average Refacing Materials Cost include:
The total cost will vary based on the materials you choose and a number of factors such as: the number of doors with raised panels or inlays, cabinet draws, etc. The two most common materials are: Plastic laminates and wood veneers.
- Plastic Laminate – This cost on average $1500-1800.00 for a basic to high-quality finish. There are two types of laminate and they are: Low-pressure laminate (aka melamine), and high-pressure laminate (aka Formica). This is a great low-cost option that can take a beating and is easy to clean. Low-pressure laminates such as Melamine are cheaper in cost, however, they are more prone to chip whereas High-pressure laminate is more resistant.
- Rigid Thermofoil (aka RTF) cost on average $1200-2000 and is a more cost-effective solution over laminate. RTF is basically form fitting. The process involves taking vinyl foil and molding them to conform with the look of your existing cabinet doors. It offers a fresh look to your existing cabinets with wood grain finish that doesn’t have the cost of real wood grain cabinets. This is a perfect solution for those that have cabinets with a lot of detail on their draws and doors.
- Wood Veneers – cost on average $3000-6500 depending on how elaborate you go. Wood veneers come in sheets and strips for panels and edging. They come in wood tones such as: Walnut, Maple, Cherry, Oak, and Birch. The cost of wood veneer typically runs 20-30% more over laminates.
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing – Pricing and Installation Cost Checklist
- Expect the Kitchen Cabinet Refacing prices to fluctuate between various companies – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Fall, early winter – you should expect aggressive pricing discounts by waiting for a contractor’s down season.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out for Kitchen Cabinet Refacing costs.
- Visit every supply house that sell your particular brand of Kitchen Cabinet Refacing and try to negotiate a better price with each supplier – I save on average 20%.
- Kitchen Cabinet Refacing isn’t an easy task to perform and can leave you with a Light wallet if done incorrectly. You might find it more cost effective to hire a Kitchen remodeling, or General Contractor company to perform the work for you. Kitchen Remodeling companies will most always get better prices on Kitchen Cabinet Refacing — saving your back and additional costs of Kitchen Cabinet Refacing, so shop around, ask your neighbors if they can recommend someone.
External References & Price Data:
- Home Depot Cabinet Veneer – added 1/3/18
- Lowes Cabinet Veneer Materials – added 2/8/18
402 people found this helpful. Was this guide helpful to you?
What Others are paying:
A lawyer never retires. So I would just say that I am not as active as I used to be. Now I simply dedicate myself to fishing, my hobby, and my grandchildren. For Business Finance News I write about legal aspects of mortgage policies, mostly regarding the rights of policyholders. I also have articles about personal injuries.