Compare Barn Price Quotes
The barn has always been the heart of a farm. Barns are used to house livestock and store farming equipment, and they can also be used as a workspace. They come in all sorts of designs, materials and sizes – each with varying price tags.
Types of Barns
There are two basic options when it comes to building a barn: Buy a prefabricated model and have it assembled on site or hire a contractor to build a barn from scratch. A prefab barn will be far less expensive, but perhaps not as attractive.
The two most popular materials for barns are steel and wood. Steel is affordable and durable, while wood provides a classic look but comes at a higher cost. Prefabricated barns can be made of steel or wood; custom-built barns are typically made of wood.
If you’re on a tight budget and/or you’re looking for a very basic structure, consider a pole barn. Pole barns are simple, inexpensive and often semi-finished buildings that can serve a variety of purposes. They can be used as horse barns, storage facilities or workshops, among many other uses.
Cost to Build a Barn
The cost of a barn depends on many factors: the size the of barn, materials used, finishing options and your geographic location.
- A wood barn typically costs about $45-$65 per square foot, not including extras like electrical or plumbing.
- Preassembled wood barn kits sell for about half that price.
- Steel barns start at about $1,000 for very basic, open-access shelters and range upwards of $50,000. Most average-sized steel barns sell for $10,000-$30,000.
- By the square foot, metal barns cost about $25-$35.
- Preassembled metal barn kits can be purchased for $15-$20 per square foot.
- Professionally-constructed pole buildings cost anywhere from $7-$30 per square foot.
A lawyer never retires. So I would just say that I am not as active as I used to be. Now I simply dedicate myself to fishing, my hobby, and my grandchildren. For Business Finance News I write about legal aspects of mortgage policies, mostly regarding the rights of policyholders. I also have articles about personal injuries.