Birch Cabinets Overview
Birch is sturdy hardwood that is plentiful in the Northeast United States and Canada. It is one of the most popular wood varieties for kitchen cabinets, mostly because of its price and appearance.
Try Our Free Cabinet Installation Quote Request Tool
Tell us some details about your needs and get connected to pre-screened companies in your area. Compare free price quotes from multiple companies and save time and money instantly! No obligations to hire or purchase ever!
Find a Cabinet Pro >>
Birch tends to have a straight, uniform grain, although occasionally you will find a wavy or curly pattern. It is light in color and looks best when left natural. However, it can be stained to resemble darker woods such as mahogany or walnut.
How Much Do Birch Cabinets Cost?
It is extremely difficult to estimate the cost of replacing kitchen cabinets because the price depends on the size of your kitchen and the type of cabinets you select.
Very generally, plan on spending anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 for new birch cabinets. Stock cabinets from a big box store fall the low end of that price range, while custom cabinetry falls on the high end.
Birch Cabinets Pros
- Price – Birch is considerably less expensive than maple. The raw materials alone cost up to 80 percent less. However, because most cabinets are made using some portion of uniform plywood, don’t expect the total cost of the project to be 80 percent less than with maple.
Birch Cabinets Cons
- Limited staining options – Birch is slightly lighter in color than maple, so it doesn’t take well to very dark stain colors. Dark stains can create a blotchy, uneven look.
- Texture – Birch has a rougher texture than maple. It may not be the ideal choice if your going for a smooth look and feel.
Maple Cabinets Overview
Maple is similar in many ways to birch. It is a sturdy wood that grows abundantly in the United States. Maple is also a very popular variety of wood for kitchen cabinets; it works for both contemporary and traditional kitchens.
Like birch, maple is light in color but can be stained to mimic darker woods. It is also known for its straight, subtle grain but occasionally has a wavy or curly pattern.
How Much Do Maple Cabinets Cost?
Depending on the size of your kitchen and the type of cabinets you select, you could spend anywhere from $5,000 to $30,000 for maple cabinets. Stock cabinets fall on the low end of that price range, while custom cabinets fall on the high end.
Because maple is a stronger wood of a slightly higher grade than birch, the total cost of the project will be higher.
Maple Cabinets Pros
- Durable – Maple is a higher grade of wood than birch. It is stronger and more durable, and it will last longer.
- Easier to stain – Maple is more versatile when it comes to staining. You can opt for darker stains such as walnut or mahogany without as much risk of blotching.
Maple Cabinets Cons
- Price – Due to its strength and durability, maple comes with a significantly higher price tag than birch.